Saturday, February 18, 2006

What a night!

There were category 4 hurricane winds recorded n MT Washington last night! We had a rough night too. My grandparents had no power for 13 hours and we lost power for about 6 hours before we were able to leave here. We live in a lake community and there is only one way in or out of here. A huge tree took a couple power lines down and the fire department blocked the road out of here off so no one could leave or get in unless they left their car at the block and snuck through the woods to get home or out of here. We were getting really cold and were afraid our pipes would freeze as well as freeze ourselves so we wanted to leave here. We reserved a room at a local hotel but we soon found out that the fire department would not let us out of here. I called my dad at the Sheriffs department and he called everyone he could to try to get us out of here. (It was not only us but everyone who lives here were trapped. I hope there were no emergencies last night needing medical attention STAT)Anyway, my dad was able to find out that the fire department was leaving the scene at around 11:00pm and if we wanted to risk crossing the block then we could try. Ken went to the block and saw where some lines were down about a 1/4 mile up from the block and he also saw cars going through the block. (Theses were people that did not know what had happened) so Ken came back to the house and said we were going through the block. When we got to the beginning of the block and were almost out of here we saw a whole bunch of cars and trucks lined up and people and their dogs walking around with no clue how to get home as they saw the block as they came into the area. It was just an insane scene. I never saw anything like it. People were panicky and cold. We had called the electric company to see how long it would be before they could shut power to the live lines down around here and they said it would be 24-48 hours before anyone would come out to do that as there were 30,000 people without power in just their company. The other company had approx. 39,000 out.Ken told them this was an emergency as we not only have no power but we were trapped here with no way out. We could deal with the power loss. We thank God that he provided us a way out of here when He did.
We got to the hotel and snuck our dog in. We later found out that dogs were allowed. Good thing as katana barked at someone walking past our door at 6am and we were afraid they would kick us out of the hotel.
We called our house and got our answering machine at 7am so we were happy that the power was back on.
All is well and this is just reassuring my husband that moving to FL is the best thing. Although I do not know why as FL deals with these hurricane force winds on a much more regular basis. I do have to say that they are more prepared for such a thing though. We have way too many trees hugging the power lines, it is no wonder the lines come down all the time.

No comments: